Saturday, October 6, 2007

Last Night


There is something so nice about a Friday evening spent in the kitchen. Upon opening thursday's veggie box, I was delighted to find these beautiful eggplant and spinach and knew immediately what I would do with them. A few months back, a certain pizza place (in too close of proximity to our house I might add) informed me they would no longer be making my favorite pizza, the eggplant parmesan. So, after a trip to costco to indulge in a bottle of good red wine, I devoted last night to creating my version of the perfect eggplant parmesan pizza (and a small batch of eggplant parmesan proper for the freezer).
Any solo cooking event is greatly enhanced by good music and the Dawson-inspired playlist I hastily made provided the perfect soundtrack. I can't remember exactly who / what was on there but ESL, Feist, Neko Case, Old Man Luedecke, Jenny Lewis and Carolyn Mark were on there...and for some funky fun, a little George Michael, G. Love, and of course, Beastie Boys.
When the music was over the pizza was ready and not only did it prove to be healthier than the original (almost entirely whole wheat crust, baked breaded eggplant instead of fried, and only 1 oz of cheese), but absolutely delicious as well. I'm sorry, but I was thinking with my stomach when it was ready and did not pause to take a photo. The rest of the evening was spent working on beastie the blankie and watching Fast Food Nation, an interesting movie. Funny it had the same effect on me as the book. When it was over, I really wanted French Fries. The ending of the movie is not for the faint of heart however, and it (along with today's beef recall) will keep me off meat for awhile.
Tonight I'm supposed to meet up with friends to see The Whipsaws play at Blues Central but since I've still got half a pizza, half a bottle of yummy wine, half a blanket to make and at least 5 hours of instant viewing on ye old netflix account, I think I'll stay in again. Sorry guys, I'm old and lame......or maybe I just miss all the quality movie/cooking/knitting time I used to spend this time of year back in Bethel.

No comments: