Thursday, September 27, 2007

Oregon, My Oregon



Another highlight of the summer was a trip to Oregon to see my family. This is Wilson, nephew extraordinare, showing off his increasingly rare find (partial sand dollar) and very sandy hands. I spent the first few days of my trip in Newport, which was a treat as I hadn't been to the beach house in the summer in about 3 years.

Midway through my trip, I met Peter in Seattle and we drove up to Kelowna for his cousin Paul's wedding, with a sidetrip to Edmonton to visit his Mormor. We had an enjoyable day visiting with her and the wedding was lovely. Peter had to return back home after the wedding so I dropped him back off in Seattle and returned to Portland for a few more days.

The drive to Seattle and back was a lovely excuse to quell my fast food desires--I ate at Burgerville twice (spicy black bean gardenburger and thick shake made with real, plump, local, berries- how I love thee).

When I returned, Mom decided we should look for possible Oregon wedding locations, so my sisters and I piled in the car and off we went, perusing wineries and miscellaneous country locales. We went up to Hopewell to say hello to my Great Grandma Scoggan, and out to Sheridan to visit the church my mom went to growing up (she claims they say she was the second best organist they had). It was pretty fun, despite the sweltering 95 degree temps, I hadn't driven around on those country roads in many years. Portions of the last two days were spent looking for a wedding dress (successfully I might add) and registering at Crate and Barrel, though now that I've read this book, I'm thinking of canceling the registry. We'll see though (it would be nice to have matching dishes for once).

Now I must leave to go get to work on Winter Goal #3....................

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Tracie!
I can't wait to see your dress! Remember...give your AK friends dates and location for your wedding...we'd love to come and represent!!! *grin*

Anonymous said...

This is great. Now you can teach Madeline and myself how to start our own family blog as well. As far as your goals for the winter- did I ever get my Christmas/birthday gift?? I honestly can't remember. I always enjoy your knitted creations!
Let us know your wedding plans soon. Randy is really looking forward to a long family drive up to AK.

Anonymous said...

Hey...Don't let that book influence you too much. All that matters is what You belive. Remember, it is just someone's point of view / opinion. You choose whether to belive it or not. I like weddings because I think it's a great opportunity to share your moments, feelings, and values with family and friends. So if you choose for the wedding to be plain or lavish...it's up to you (and Peter too ;) I also think it's an opportunity for family and friends to help you two on your way to a long and meaningful life together. If that means giving you useful or meaningless gifts...so be it!!